Best Plants For Urban Gardens in 2023
Keter Urban Bloomer 22.4 Gallon Raised Garden Bed with Self Watering Planter Box and Drainage Plug, Anthracite
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, 2nd Edition
Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
Wild at Home: How to style and care for beautiful plants
Glowpear Urban Garden Self-Watering Mini Bench Planter
- Plants take what water they need when they need it: Due to the integrated self-watering system. Just top up the reservoir and your plants self-water. See what water is needed at a glance with the water level indicator.
- Ideal growing conditions: Generous soil depth and volume, the Mini Bench has been carefully designed to optimise growing conditions for fruit, vegetables and herbs.
- Use indoors or outdoors: The Mini Bench is just at home inside or outside on your balcony or deck.
- Scalable: Glowpear units to be ‘plugged in’ to each other, for easy, integrated watering and increased growing space.
- Sturdy, safe and stable: The Mini Bench is made of injection-moulded HDPE, UV and corrosion resistant, BPA-free, and food safe.
Urban Botanics: An Indoor Plant Guide for Modern Gardeners
- Select which plants you want to grow from our list of vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
- Input the dimensions of your garden and specify how much space you want to dedicate to each plant.
- Enter your ZIP Code to determine the USDA Cold Hardiness Zone you live in.
- Garden Buddy tells you when to plant and harvest each plant, how many seeds you'll need, and how deep and far apart to plant each seed.
- Garden Buddy will also draw a garden plot factoring in known companion plants.
Urban Leaf - Herb Garden Starter Kit | Free Web app Guide | Beginner Friendly Indoor Windowsill Kitchen Planter | Potting Mix, Pots, Markers, Seeds
- 🌿 KIT INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED: to start growing a healthy and sustainable herb garden right at home today - including decorative timber planter box, premium quality domestic seeds and soil discs, bamboo labels as well as both printed and digital how-to guides
- 👨🍳ESSENTIAL HERB VARIETIES: Classic Sweet Italian Basil - for your pizza, pasta, pesto and salads. Delectable Cilantro - for your Asian, Mexican and seafood dishes, and Robust Parsley - for more protein rich dishes and breads.
- 👩🌾 SOIL AIN'T SOIL: Unlike other herb starter kits that include ONLY coco coir in their soil, ours is a true soil-replacement providing a complete nutrient profile suitable for not only starting your seeds (as is the case with most) but also long term plant growth and health.
- 👌 PREMIUM QUALITY SEEDS: We’ve worked with dozens of suppliers to find, test and select the best quality domestically sourced seeds available on the market. Don’t settle for improperly labelled cheaper imports of questionable origins. Is that really what you want to feed the family?
- 🙌 START GROWING TODAY: The gorgeous timber planter box is equally at home in your living room, kitchen or window. Produced from sustainably sourced timber, its both practical and re-usable.
Things Green with Nick Federoff Urban Garden Raised Planter
Field Guide to Urban Gardening: How to Grow Plants, No Matter Where You Live: Raised Beds - Vertical Gardening - Indoor Edibles - Balconies and Rooftops - Hydroponics
At Garden's Gate Indoor & Urban Gardening [VHS]
Two Minutes in the Garden
Urban Leaf - Windowsill Herb Garden Starter Kit - Self Watering Indoor Bottle Garden Kit - incl 3 Types Herb/Flower Seeds - Perfect Unique Gift for Her (or Him!)
- 🌱 UNIQUE HERB GARDEN GIFT FOR HER: This easy-to-use Urban Leaf kit upcycles 3x bottles (not included) into apartment friendly indoor SELF WATERING herb planters (we have Edible Flowers too!)
- 🌱 GROW YOUR OWN: Fresh delicious herbs and flowers right from your windowsill. Nothing quite compares to be able to say "I grew that myself", and this kit makes it super easy
- 🌱 UNIQUE GIFT IDEA: for host(ess), mom, dinner party or a birthday. Pair it with a bottle of wine to make an impression they will remember
- 🌱 AS SEEN ON: FOX5 News, The View, Spectrum NY1 and more! All Urban Leaf products come with a GREEN THUMB GUARANTEE, which means if you're not satisfied with the results we offer a no-stress refund or replacement.
- 🌱 KIT INCLUDES: Garden inserts, bottle labels, germination stickers, 3 seed packets, and a setup guide. JUST ADD: 3 empty bottles and a sunny windowsill or countertop to grow the healthy organic herbs. CHECK OUT OUR STORE: by clicking 'Urban Leaf' company name above - we offer a range of edible indoor gardening products.
All New Square Foot Gardening, 3rd Edition, Fully Updated:â€¢ MORE Projects â€¢ NEW Solutions â€¢ GROW Vegetables Anywhere
Plant This Movie
Urban Farming and the Locavore Movement
Do you want more food or more nutrition? The answer may be as simple as eating locally grown food.
Why Buy Local?
According the the Locavore Network:
Locally grown food is picked ripe and sold locally within a day or two of harvest. Why does this matter? Vitamin C is known to decrease rapidly in produce once it is picked, and may be gone completely within 3 days. Many of the water soluble vitamins, such as the essential B vitamin group, are not stable enough to survive long distance transport and are destroyed by heat and harsh conditions during shipping. Often, food shipped from one coast of the U.S. to the other is nothing more than empty roughage with no nutritional value at all. You can only imagine how devoid of nutrients produce from other countries is.
Is Organic Food More Nutritious?
Many years back, I was watching a network morning show where there was an interview with their resident physician. He stated that the chemicals and planting methods in commercial factory farming had destroyed the nutrition in the soils so badly, that we all should be taking a multi-vitamin every day. I also saw a magazine program segment where there was a commercial farm and an organic farm side by side. The organic farmer walked to the property line, and you could literally see the difference in the color of the soils. He took a handful of the commercially farmed soil, and it was completely dead, just light-brown, dusty nothingness. A handful of the soil in his orchard was rich, black and crumbly with living organisms, such as earthworms.
Since most urban farmers grow organically, the food they produce is likely more nutritious, if not as perfect as what we find on grocers' shelves. So ask yourself, do you want "pretty" or do you want "healthy?" Commercially grown food is cheap, but eating more of nothing is not as good as eating less of something.
You don't have to have acreage to have an urban farm. You don't even have to make a living from it. You can use space-saving methods, such as square-foot or vertical gardening, to produce even a single crop that you can share with or sell to your neighbors and friends. Once they taste how much better organically grown local food tastes, you will have friends -- or customers -- for as long as you want to keep producing the crops. It's a great way to unite a community and teach others the joy of growing your own food right outside your back door.
Prevention of post-harvest food losses: Fruits, vegetables and root crops...
The Effect of Transport on Nutrient Content - Result: Nutrient Loss